At the Met’s facial recognition deployment on Oxford Circus last Thursday:
- 7 innocent members of the public misidentified + their photos put on police database for 1m
- 5 of whom were ALSO questioned + ID’d
- 8,600 people scanned for facial ID check w/o consent
- 7,292 people were on the police’s “targeted” facial recognition watch list
- 86% of the facial recognition alerts wrongly flagged innocent members of the public as wanted
- 71% of facial recognition misidentifications resulted in police stopping + IDing innocent people
This blows apart the Met’s defence that facial recognition surveillance is in any way proportionate or that the staggering inaccuracy is mitigated by human checks.
This is a disaster for human rights, a breach of our most basic liberties & an embarrassment for our capital city.