Big Brother Watch work to ensure that those who fail to respect our privacy, undermine our online security, or fail to protect our personal data, are held to account.
We campaign on behalf of individuals to ensure their privacy and civil liberties are maintained in the digital age by government, public authorities and businesses.
Founded in 2009, Big Brother Watch produces unique and groundbreaking research exposing the misuse of powers, informative factsheets explaining complex laws, and briefings for parliament, the press and the public.
The campaign is seeking an experienced candidate to take on the role of Director, leading the organisation’s growth and development and reinforcing its position as a respected and high-profile civil liberties campaign group.
Reporting to the Board, the role will include the following responsibilities:
- Planning Big Brother Watch’s work and campaigning activity to align with its strategic objectives.
- Managing the team of Big Brother Watch staff and interns.
- Directing Big Brother Watch’s research activity and policy focus.
- Leading Big Brother Watch media profile as main spokesperson.
- Acting as the main liaison with Government, MPs, Special Advisors and outside groups.
- Identifying and pursuing fundraising opportunities.
- Representing Big Brother Watch at formal and informal settings, including Governmental advisory bodies and stakeholder processes.
- Manage Big Brother Watch engagement with enquiries, consultations and policy formulation, giving evidence in person where required.
Candidates should/will ideally:
- Be sympathetic with the aims of Big Brother Watch.
- Have an understanding of the UK legislative process with an awareness of recent legislation including the Investigatory Powers Act, the Digital Economy Act, the Data Protection Bill and the GDPR.
- Have excellent attention to detail.
- Be confident and competent in oral and written communication, ideally with previous experience of media interviews.
- Be able to work under pressure and be part of a dynamic national campaigning team.
- Have a good knowledge of national and regional media and politics.
- Ideally have existing relationships or experience working with leading figures in the field of Justice and Home Affairs in Westminster and Whitehall.
Closing Date: 24 November 2017
Please note only successful candidates will be contacted.
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com