Would you like to work for a leading civil liberties campaign organisation that holds Government to account?
Do you care about the impact of new technologies on human rights in the UK?
Are you passionate about privacy rights?
Work with us!
Big Brother Watch is a non-profit campaign organisation leading the protection of privacy and civil liberties in the UK in a time of enormous technological change. We are a small and dedicated team with great ambition for 2018 and beyond. Our success relies on the dedication of our team – and if you share our passion for privacy and civil liberties, we want to hear from you.
Job title: Communications Officer
Reports to: Director
Working hours: Full time (negotiable)
Starting salary: £24,000 (negotiable)
Closing date for applications: Monday 27th August 2018
Start date: As soon as possible
If you are successful, we will contact you on Monday 3rd September.
First round interviews will be held on Friday 7th September.
Second round interviews will be held on Tuesday 11th September.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Covering letter (1 page max)
- Your example Big Brother Watch leaflet: imagine we are running a campaign, and we have tasked you to make an A5 leaflet (it can be either one sided or double sided) about HMRC’s VoicePrint database. Please send us your leaflet (PDF or jpeg) to demonstrate your digital design ability and how you can distill persuasive messaging from a complex issue.
Download job information pack: Communications Officer – Job Information Pack
This is an exciting position for a communications officer with digital skills who wants to work for a campaigning NGO. Big Brother Watch is a leading voice in the UK protecting privacy and defending civil liberties and we are seeking to significantly grow our reach on our communications and specifically digital channels.
We are looking for a passionate all-rounder who understands the importance of good online communications in a campaigning context. The Communications Officer will manage and have responsibility for all Big Brother Watch’s digital channels.
The successful candidate will have experience working across a range of digital channels, including social media and video, website CMS, and ideally (but not essential) email marketing platforms such as MailChimp. We are looking for someone who is able to produce creative graphics with a brand identity. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, able to work by themselves as well as collaborate with colleagues. You will be flexible, diligent, able to work under pressure and manage a busy and sometimes competing workload.
- Develop and ensure delivery of Big Brother Watch’s communications strategy & digital communications calendar, encompassing social media, website, and email, working closely with the team.
- Develop packages of digital and physical campaign resources.
- Provide reports on website, email and social media performance.
- Monitor trends, sector standards and advise on new digital initiatives.
- Designing templates for our briefings and bespoke report templates
- Manage the Big Brother Watch website structure and content, and ideally SEO
- Create, upload and edit content (images and video), with a basic understanding of HTML
- Work with colleagues to ensure all content is kept up-to-date.
- Manage the newsletter schedule and mailouts, and other supporter journey engagement
- Oversee and ensure best practice in email content, testing, delivery and response rates.
- Manage and protect databases
- Manage Big Brother Watch’s Facebook, Twitter and social media platforms.
- Develop and advise on new social media content.
- Create and edit videos and graphics and work
- Reposting BBW appearances in broadcast, online and print media via our digital channels
- General media monitoring of relevant news & press opportunities
- Contributing to press releases and press strategies
- Potential requirement to be on 24 hour call for media enquiries – this is on a rota system.
- Strong understanding of social media, particularly Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, including best practice and trends
- Experience producing graphics and video content; ability to produce podcasts, blogs, and other content
- Good understanding of the political climate
- Ability to write persuasive content and create engaging messaging for a variety of audiences and across multiple digital channels
- Ability to monitor trends and identify creative opportunities that support campaign objectives.
- Experience of managing website CMS, basic HTML
- Ability to monitor and analyse performance data
- Strong organisational skills with ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Flexible and positive approach and the ability to work as part of a small team.
- Interest in privacy, civil liberties, and the intersection of technology and human rights
- Courage to hold the powerful to account
- Experience of working in campaigning.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant field.
- Interest in free and open source software